The 9th annual Wet Dog Triathlon (400-meter swim/15K bike/5K run) took place in Decatur last Saturday, July 12. This is a sprint-distance tri and is a fabulous race for those looking to give multisport a first-time try. (This does not mean it's easy or not-at-all challenging!)
In 2003, the Wet Dog was my first triathlon and it was just awesome! I had such fun, though when I was in the water I was thinking "Never again! If I survive this, never again!"
But by the time I was running from the water en route to my bike, I was already trying to figure out ways to improve on my time! Triathlon, like running, gets in your blood!
* Athens' own Andy Davidson, 18, a regular at North Alabama running events, took first place in his age group with a 54:24.
* Madelyn Patton, 45, of Decatur, another regular in area running, took the Overall Female Masters title with an overall finish of 1:03:15! Way To Go, Madelyn!
* Heather Robinson, another Athens runner, made the 2008 Wet Dog her first triathlon, finishing in 1:10:42.
* Another well-known area runner who was a first-timer at the Wet Dog was Jon Elmore, 42, of Decatur, who finished in 1:00:32.
Athens-Limestone finishers in the Wet Dog include:
* Heather Robinson, 33, 1:10:42
* Angie Smith, 39, 1:18:09
* Angela McKenzie, 45, 1:21:41
* Beth Maher, 50, 1:25:25
* Andy Davidson, 18, 54:24 (first in age group!)
* Clark Stiles, 32, 1:08:17 (first-timer)
* Tom Holt, 43, 54:26 (second in age group!)
* Mike Maher, 50, 1:25:22 (first-timer)
For complete results on the Wet Dog 2008 click here.